From: Pamela J. Evans [mailto: gardenqueen@gbronline.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Wed,  3 Mar 2004 06:02:20 -0600
Subject: Re: [CHAT] hoping for spring soon

I love it - think BIG girl! Sure can make lots of tea w/ all that mint -
wow.<br><br>---------- Original Message
----------------------------------<br>From: "Melody"
<mhobertm@excite.com><br>Reply-To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>Date: Wed, 3
Mar 2004 00:50:40 -0500 (EST)<br><br>>re: "But 2 DOZEN mint plants? ow!"
:<br>><br>>Yeah, well...guess I'm not one to do things by half measures!
:-) Goes with my personal motto of Go Big! or Go Home!
On Tue 03/02, Kitty < kmrsy@comcast.net > wrote:<br>>From: Kitty
[mailto: kmrsy@comcast.net]<br>>To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>>Date: Tue, 2
Mar 2004 10:42:15 -0500<br>>Subject: Re: [CHAT] hoping for spring
soon<br>><br>>Ah, mint. I think many of us have made this mistake early
mint, but only 3<br>>plants, and I'm still fighting<br>with it. Except
it looks like english<br>>ivy is giving it a run for its
<mhobertm@excite.com><br>To:<br>><gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Tuesday,
March 02, 2004 5:13<br>>AM<br>Subject: [CHAT] hoping for spring
yesterday...looking at<br>> maybe some<br>>mixed snow/rain later in the
week...temps. got up to 56<br>> degrees<br>>here...downright balmy! My
thoughts have really begun to turn to<br>><br>>the garden bed I want to
completely overhaul this year...worked like<br>>a<br>> fiend last fall
to shape up all the rest of the gardens so I<br>>could have<br>> some
laxity in ignoring them in order to concentrate on<br>>this one bed<br>>
this year...one of the 2 largest of all the beds in my<br>>yard, I made
a<br>> huge mistake with it a few years back...planted<br>>about a dozen
each of<br>> spearmint and peppermint and now am overrun<br>>with the
stuff. Great place<br>> for every pollinating in

sect in the<br>>county to visit but doesn't look so<br>> good anymore.
The landscaping<br>>cloth we put down when we initially did<br>> this
bed is making it very<br>>easy for this stuff to run all over the<br>>
place, crowding everything<br>>else out and I want it GONE! Besides
the<br>> spearmint, this bed is<br>>home to a beautiful cherry tree, a
redbud tree,<br>> several peonies,<br>>quite a lot of guara, purple
coneflower, blue flax,<br>> hosta<br>>'guacamole', and a large
collection of spring flowering bulbs such<br>><br>>as snow crocus,
tulips, daffodils, hyacinths, etc. It also contains<br>>my<br>> bad
patch of roses...twenty shrub rose bushes that are destined<br>>for
the<br>> burn pile this year as I have tried and failed for
four<br>>years now to get<br>> the black spot problem they are plagued
with under<br>>control and I'm<br>> finally admitting defeat with this
interested in protecting from a spread of this<br>>infection. Went<br>>
to see my doctor yesterday for a sore back (the<br>>bane of nurses<br>>
everywhere, I think!) and told him he had about 2<br>>weeks to fix
whatever<br>> is wrong with my back because I have some<br>>serious
gardening to get<br>> to...he laughed...I don't think he took
me<br>>seriously...hmmmph! Anyway,<br>> now that I've got a
digital<br>>camera...I'll be taking some before, during,<br>> and after
pictures to<br>>let you all in on the progress! Any suggestions,<br>>
comments, etc.<br>>would be greatly appreciated! Full sun, shade only
home of the hosta<br>>and it seems<br>> to like it there), front yard
facing south to the main<br>>street of town<br>> (no hardship to guess
that in such a small town it<br>>really is Main<br>> Street), borders a
public sidewalk, room to expand<br>>in 2 directions if I<br>> want
"The most beautiful thing we can experience<br>>is the myster

us."<br>> --Albert
Join Excite! -<br>>http://www.excite.com<br>> The most personalized
portal on
hort.net -- join the hort.net fund