From: Andrea H [mailto: hodgesaa@islc.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 20:30:52 -0500
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Spring, second of two

You are, but construction companies that have the big bucks can usually
get<br>around that. My father has worked construction in Charleston for
about 15<br>years. He lays pipe and probably 10 years ago dug up some
coffins in<br>downtown Charleston that were probably poor citizens or
slaves. The coffins<br>were badly constructed, etc. Anyway, he stopped
digging and called his<br>boss. they were supposed to call the
Archeology people but the owner of the<br>property came down, took all
the bones and put them in ONE new pine box and<br>had it reburied. how
Original Message ----- <br>From: "Kitty" <kmrsy@comcast.net><br>To:
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 11:46
big like that was found at a consturction site near here<br>> recently -
can't remember the details. I thought that when you found<br>> something
like that you were supposed to leave it alone and call somebody<br>>
rather than harvest it yourself. Still, I bet it was pretty exciting
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>> Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 5:22 PM<br>>
details the nursery's trucks lives on the Myakka river.<br>> > Right on
the river; he and his family were flooded out of home for 2<br>> > weeks
during the last wet season. But the river is low this time of<br>> >
year, and Saturday he decided to take himself upstream and do some<br>>
> snorkeling--looking for sharks teeth and such. The rivers of
eye-popping. He found three leg bones and several<br>> > vertebrae of
what would appear to be a mastodon. He brought one of the<br>> > leg
bones to the nursery today to show it to me. This fossil is about 3<br>>
> feet long; at one end [which I

take to be the top] is a double ball<br>> > joint in very good
condition. The other end looks like it has been<br>> > eroded away. The
shank of the bone is at least 5 inches in diameter. A<br>> > very large
bone.<br>> ><br>> > He has a friend who is a paleontologist. He's
sending one of the leg<br>> > bones to the paleontologist for a better
Ident. He said "You can't<br>> > believe the adrenalin surge after I
found the first leg bone. I put the<br>> > skiff under one arm and the
bone under the other and walked on top of<br>> > the river all the way
Zone 10<br>> ><br>> >
http://www.hort.net/funds/<br>><br>>

    http://www.hort.net/funds/<br><br>

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com