Re: Cast Iron plant

Hi Jim, NO, I've never seen it bloom.  Oh this is MOST interesting!  This
plant is over used in landscaping here too for shade.....and considered "out".
Most "re-dos" call for ripping it all out.  I have and use the Apidistra elator
variegata a lot.  There are several varieties of this.  I personally like a
bit of variegation in a shaded area, so this serves two purposes.....no-fuss
evergreen lush foliage in a shaded area, plus the added bonus of the white.  To
know that it might actually bloom, and be even more attractive plus scent is
just amazing.  I do so hope mine blooms.  You mentioned you didn't know the
conditions for blooming???  Hm.

I don't indoor garden much, except for my life long window sill cactus
collection......but visited a friend recently that has a Corn plant which is
blooming inside his house.  It's a lovely two story with huge windows, so gets ample
lighting.  The bloom is quite pretty, and very fragrant also.  I had never
heard of this plant blooming before either, and was pleasantly surprised.   Jim,
or anyone grow this plant, if so....has it bloomed???   My friend's blooms
yearly now.  He was told that it has to have a min. 5 inch stalk to do so.

Brazilian Cherry??  Have been busy, so haven't been keeping up with my list
email much at all.
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 3/5/2004 8:05:36 PM Central Standard Time,