RE: Spring at the Morgan's too!

If your tulip tree is mature, the oak leafs might fit under part of it.  I
planted several last year and found they really spread, as does the Joe Pye
Weed but it does so much more slowly and does better with more sun.   I'd
put the Joe Pye Weed toward the outer edge of the bed, maybe three-four
feet in and the oak leafs nearer the tulip tree spread.

Bonnie Zone 6+ ETN

Behalf
> Of Bonnie Holmes
> Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2004 2:14 PM
> To: gardenchat@hort.net
> Subject: RE: [CHAT] Spring at the Morgan's too!
>
> You will love the oak leaf hydrangea.  It also has wonderful winter
> interest...give it plenty of room as it tends to spread out.  The
> butterflies will love Joe Pye Weed...I have mine in the middle of a round
> bed surrounded with bee balm, iris, Rudbeckia, and Russian sage.
>
> Bonnie Zone 6+ ETN

Then
> > along the driveway, I have 5 iris reticulata already blooming.  Oh, and
> > think I found some lungwort seedlings, too!  They are so cute!  It all
> > happened in less than a week (3-4 days really.)
> >
> > Yes, I've got the 'bug' really bad right now!  I went to Wal-Mart to
pick
> up
> > some face soap last week and came out with 3 red lilies, a cyclamen and
an
> > Eryngium planum (Sea Holly) and a bunch of seeds (10 packets of sweet
> > alyssum among them.  I always get volunteers from the previous year,
but I
> > wanted some for the new bed too.)
> >
> > I cleaned out more of the patriotic garden today with my coat on.  (It's
> in
> > the 40's--and was all night and will be through the night to tomorrow
> > morning when the temps will start to drop so that it can snow on my
flower
> > parade next week.  Of such is life.)  The daffodils are a good 5" out of
> the
> > ground, and the other spring plants--hyacinths and some tulips among
them)
> > have just breached the soil line.  I left some leaf cover on the more
> tender
> > plants knowing snow was coming.  I took mother for a little walk in the
> yard
> > today so she could see the blooms and the new growth!  What bulbs I put
in
> > the ground three years ago have multiplied, making nice colonies here
and
> > there.  I'm really excited!

was