Re: Spring at the Morgan's too!

Bonnie, I agree with Andrea...those two aren't really compatible as
they need different conditions...the hydrangea wants at least
afternoon shade and the Joe Pye Weed wants as much sun as you can
give it.  I don't know which variety you have, but I've had some get
10' tall and others are more around 6' tall...big, back of the border
type plants IMO.  If given enough sun, they will stand tall, but if
not, or if there are high winds, they can lean a good deal....mine
were flattened early last year in one of our storms and never did
stand up again...I had Joe Pye weed groundcover:-)  Your Joe Pye can
get to max. height in one year; what you'll have is one or two stems
and then every year, it will add stems to the clump - it goes from
ground to tall in one season.

The oakleaf hydrangea will, in time, get about 5 or 6'  tall and
spread wide, but they are not fast growers.  If your plant is, say, a
foot or so tall now, expect it to take 6 or 8 years for it to get
full height.    Spread can be up to 6' or so on a mature oak
leaf...again, depending on which clone you have.

If your 'tulip tree' is Liriodendron tulipifera, what I call a tulip
poplar, it will get HUGE.  They also grow fairly fast, at least the
ones around here do.  It still takes a few years, but in, say in 15
years it will be like 60  feet tall with a spread of 30' or so.  I
like this tree tho' it has the most invasive roots where surrounding
beds are concerned and does not like you to hack away at them much.
I have found tulip poplar roots 50' away from the trunk of the
tree...they move out:-)  I've got one at the northwest corner of the
house whose trunk is about 3' in diameter; must be 80' tall now.
Have a couple I have got to get down before they get much
larger...been saying that for a few years and time is running on me.
Beautiful trees, tho'.  They do cast a pretty heavy shade, so keep
that in mind as you plant around them.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: Bonnie & Bill Morgan <wmorgan972@ameritech.net>
> Like Zem says, it does sound beautiful!  I wanted to put both the
Joe Pye
> Weed and the Oakleaf Hydrangea in the same bed.  The bed stretches
between a
> 7 year old tulip tree and a plum on the other end about 30' apart.
What
> would be the best spacing of the two plants, given neither of them
are
> mature plants?  Your arrangement sounds so lovely!  So, I think
I'll move a