From: james singer [mailto: jsinger@igc.org]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 16:45:46 -0500
Subject: Re: [CHAT] re nursery interview apparel

Kitty, try farm, agricultural, and/or nursery supplies. There are many
very <br>serviceable artificial rubber boots, galoshes, and overshoes
being. Except I washed my new petite <br>> length<br>> jeans in the
hopes they would shrink a bit, but they didn't - still too<br>> long.
Hmmm. The only thing I've had trouble finding were rubber <br>>
overshoes.<br>> They make lots of these for men, but not women. (Ladies:
rmember the <br>> days<br>> when a woman couldn't find a decent work
glove?) I tried on a pair of <br>> mens'<br>> small, but they are way
too big. All I've found so far are Totes' <br>> brand for<br>> women,
clear with an elastic on a button that don't look like they'd <br>>
hold<br>> up. I have a pair of comfortable boots that I've sprayed with
water<br>> repellant, but I like the idea of overshoes - rubbers we used
-----<br>> From: "Wendy Swope" <wendyswope@mindspring.com><br>> To:
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>> Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2004 3:15 PM<br>>
CONGRATULATIONS, KITTY!<br>>><br>>> As usual, I'm about a week behind on
my e-mail, or I would have<br>> Hip-Hip-Hoorayed you the day you posted
this!<br>>> It's great you are getting back in the game, AND will be
earning <br>>> enough<br>>> to support yourself! I understand finding a
job that pays well enough<br>>> for one to live on can be hard to find
about these things than I do have<br>>> given you ideas for a gift for
the Horticulture Educator who was so<br>>> helpful, so I'm not even
gonna try. <says the humble home garden<br>>> enthusiast> Have you
apparel on a tight

budget: Have you <br>>> checked<br>>> out your local thrift shops? In my
own area, I know of 3 Goodwill<br>>> stores, a Salvation Army store, a
St. Vinnie de Paul, and one huge,<br>>> independent secondhand store
called Valley Thrift. Granted, these <br>>> places<br>>> don't always
look clean, but I have found them an excellent source for<br>>> "like
new" jeans and other tough, casual pants, as well as <br>>>
nice-looking<br>>> longsleeve cotton shirts that keep the sun off my
arms. I just take <br>>> the<br>>> stuff home and give it a good wash
before I wear it. I was stunned <br>>> when<br>>> I found out that most
of these stores even have sales! Goodwill takes<br>>> 50% off EVERTHING
on the last Friday and Saturday of each month--good<br>>> sturdy jeans
for $2.50 or $3 a pair! So the only dailly/garden wear I<br>>> can't buy
at my favorite junque stores are undergarments, shoes and<br>>> socks,
and hats, and I have better quality used clothes than what I<br>>> could
highly recommend shopping<br>>> www.footsmart.com and www.newbalance.com
for a wide selection of <br>>> quality<br>>> discounted choices. I love
high-top leather Rockports for the ankle<br>>> support they give me
while I'm digging in my garden, but they are<br>>> expensive and hard to
find in local stores. By searching the Web for<br>>> shoes (or in my
case, "boots"), I can usually come up with a pair I <br>>> like<br>>>
for half to three-quarters of the normal price. I get my Birkis
this<br>>> way, too. (IMHO, if you can afford to, you could do no better
than to<br>>> get a pair of Birkenstocks to replace those canvas
slip-ons for home<br>>> use! Your feet will thank
yesterday. I start working at Arbor Farms some time <br>>> next<br>>>
week. I'm sure I would not have gotten this job but for the <br>>>
Horticulture<br>>> Educator at our CES.

He
went to school with the owners and called <br>>> them on<br>>> my
behalf. Any ideas on what sort of thank you I should give
him?<br>>><br>>> New thoughts on apparel: I start next week - they'll
let me know when<br>> they<br>>> get word of the expected arrival of
their truck delivery from Oregon.<br>> Snow<br>>> has melted and things
will be muddy, so I figured I needed some boots.<br>>> <snip> I decided
to get some more durable leather tie shoes. So I <br>>> went<br>>
shopping yesterday for a<br>>> sale on footwear. Also got a pair of
cotton twill pants and 2 pair of<br>> jeans<br>>> (I didn't have any).
Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive!<br>>>
http://www.hort.net/funds/<br>><br>>
Florida<br>Zone

    http://www.hort.net/funds/<br><br>

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com