RE: re nursery interview apparel

Marge, I've found the old pair of overalls I picked up at a garage sale
probably one of the most comfortable gardening togs in my closet.  You're
right, an old sweatshirt in early spring and a t-shirt later in the season
makes the overalls multi-seasonal.  And what a fashion statement they make!
The straps had been a bit long, but I tied them in a large knot in the back,
flattened, of course so that the straps would stay up.  Then, of course, the
legs are about a foot too long, so they get folded up.  (That way I can
bring some of the garden into the house even without knowing it.)   I'll
have to take a cue from you, though and add some decorative patching before
long.  Any suggestions on fabrics, shapes or colors?

But past spring, I don't think I could take the heat of tall rubber boots.
By early summer, I switch to some of those rubber garden boots.  (I found
some at Odd Lots a few days ago and have a new pair for $2 for this year.)
Of course, anytime one wears rubber footwear, socks are a must.  And I have
to have my knee pads.  You'd think being so close to the ground, I wouldn't
have to be on my knees so much, but I still spend a significant amount of
time on my knees weeding and working the soil or starting new beds and/or
expanding old ones.

Sorry.  I did get carried away.  I'll blame the 5" of snow on the ground
thus far and my overwhelming desire to get into the garden soil, having been
denied the beauty of crocus under the thick blanket of snow.  (But it was
supposed to get to 36 F. by 3:00 p.m.!  Of course, it didn't get above
freezing.  I think our meteorologist needs some remedial course work.)
Still, it wasn't 15 inches!  I'd really be in a state if I had to contend
with that this late in the season!

Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)