Re: re nursery interview apparel

Well, Bonnie, my patches are usually cut from old jeans so they will
wear as well as poss.  I can put holes in the knees and rear of the
toughest material in a short period of time.  The overalls I have now
even had double thickness knees!  Shape is dictated by the hole I've
made that has to be covered:-)  Of course, the color of the patch
NEVER matches the color of what I'm patching:-)  But, soon, mud
covers everything, so it sort of blends.

I know rubber boots sound extra hot in summer, but I really don't
find them so.  Of course, I have never been able to garden here in
bare feet and legs; get eaten up by insects if not by poison ivy or
punctured by some massive thorn.  So I cover every bit of skin I can.
 The old dress shirts are light weight and let the air in nicely but,
like I said in an earlier post, I'm gonna sweat anyway.  I'm always
soaked by end of day.  Heck, around here in summer, all you have to
do is stick your nose outdoors and you're soaked.  Hot is hot and
I've always figured once I'm wringing wet, I can't get any hotter.

I'm a kneeling gardener; easier to do a lot of stuff from one knee,
for me, then bend from a standing position - have several of those
green plastic covered foam pads with the little hand hold at one end
and use them.  Have never been able to tolerate the knee pads that
you put on and keep on; get on my nerves no end; easier for me to
just have one of my portable pads with my other tools as, in addition
to what I wear on my person, I always have a wheelbarrow or cart with
more tools in it or at least my big plastic tub that I use to collect
debris and weeds.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: Bonnie & Bill Morgan <wmorgan972@ameritech.net>
>
> Marge, I've found the old pair of overalls I picked up at a garage
sale
> probably one of the most comfortable gardening togs in my closet.
You're
> right, an old sweatshirt in early spring and a t-shirt later in the
season
> makes the overalls multi-seasonal.  And what a fashion statement
they make!
> The straps had been a bit long, but I tied them in a large knot in
the back,
> flattened, of course so that the straps would stay up.  Then, of
course, the
> legs are about a foot too long, so they get folded up.  (That way I
can
> bring some of the garden into the house even without knowing it.)
I'll
> have to take a cue from you, though and add some decorative
patching before
> long.  Any suggestions on fabrics, shapes or colors?
>
> But past spring, I don't think I could take the heat of tall rubber
boots.
> By early summer, I switch to some of those rubber garden boots.  (I
found
> some at Odd Lots a few days ago and have a new pair for $2 for this
year.)
> Of course, anytime one wears rubber footwear, socks are a must.
And I have