Re: We're waiting...NOW Smoking & Plants

Kitty, I hadn't read the thread when I sent my earlier reply.  But, turns
out your new employer is essentially rolling the dice if any of their plants
are in families affected by this virus.

For ammo (and Jim, a couple sources):

Sanitation: Avoid contamination of hands and clothing from diseased plants
(such as tomatoes and peppers) or from tobacco products. Smokers are
probably the main cause of most TMV-infected plants in the greenhouse.
Cigarette and tobacco users can transmit TMV by touching plants and
equipment. Workers should wash hands with soap and warm water or 3 per cent
trisodium orthophosphate before entering the crop. Wash working clothes as
often as possible.

http://www.ipmofalaska.homestead.com/files/TMV.html

And U of Minnesota with a similar caution:
The most common sources of virus inoculum for tobacco mosaic virus are the
debris of infected plants that remains in the soil and certain infected
tobacco products that contaminate workers hands. Cigars, cigarettes, and
pipe tobaccos can be infected with tobacco mosaic virus. Handling these
smoking materials contaminates the hands, and subsequent handling of plants
results in a transmission of the virus. Therefore, do not smoke while
handling or transplanting plants.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG1168.html

Good luck, Kitty!

Libby