RE: Waiting, now smoking, now grandkids

Well, Zem, if you were politically liberal while rearing them, that would be
enough.  As our children grow up, they want to differentiate themselves from
their parents.  For years, both our daughters were polar opposites of their
daddy and me, but now that they aren't "kids" anymore, they are becoming
more like Bill and I were at their ages.

You know, eventually, we turn into our parents.  Why?  "Because I said so!"
LOL!!!!  How many young parents said they'd never say that?  I did.  And
when the "whys" got more than I could bear, it was one of the first things
out of my mouth.

My older daughter used to see all kinds of sci-fi and read sci-fi with her
dad and me and enjoyed it.  Now?  She abhors it.  That started when she was
a teen and that is one thing she can hang on to differentiate herself from
her parents.  But the grandboy?  He loves to watch sci fi with granddad and
me.  It's something he seldom gets to see or do at home and it's something
mom doesn't like, so there is an attraction to it because of that.

And when Tzeitel was in grade school and there was a total lunar eclipse,
Bill & I woke her and her sister and we all went outside to watch it.  She
hated that at the time (she said) but during a recent lunar eclipse, she
woke her son and took him outside to view it against bleary eyed protests.
Oddly enough, I remember my dad taking me outside in the middle of the
nights to view a rare aurora borealis and a lunar eclipse another time.  Who
knew such things could be hated at the time and treasured later?  I guess
kids are just like that.

Goodness knows, this world would be one dull place if we were all alike.  If
we could all just follow the golden rule....  Well, enough of fantasy.

Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)