Re: Buddleia davidii a noxious weed???

In a message dated 03/19/2004 12:08:16 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mtalt@hort.net writes:

> Problem is that humans have interfered with natural areas.  Once we
> do that and disturb the native eco-system, we upset the balance and,
> generally forever.  You can't go back tho' many seem to be trying to.
> Back to what, I ask?  Which century; which millennia are they trying
> to return to?  Many native plants have fairly stringent requirements
> in order to thrive.  When those cannot be met, they do not thrive and
> other plants move in who can live quite well in whatever has happened
> to the habitat.  Ohmygod...it's NOT native and it's thriving; kill it
> quick so we can try to make something grow there whose habitat we've
> mucked with to the point of no return.  Eccchhh!
> Oh well, I shall dismount my little soapbox and go back to work:-)

What conservationists want, it seems to me, is to preserve the status quo.
On the otherhand, change is a natural process - look at the fossils of sea
creatures found on mountaintops and in deserts.  I'm sure that throughout the
history of the world there have been some plants, animals, or other forms of life
that were better adapted than others.  I, too, hate the enviromental
degradation we see around us, and deplore loss of habitats, etc., but I think all this
fuss about non-native plants is absurd. For instance, our County Executive has
decreed that only native plants can be planted in any Westchester County park
or facility.  This has created great consternation in several locations where
there were extensive plantings, such as Lasdon Park & Arboretum where there
are large azalea and rhododendron plantings, and a recently installed
"synoptic" garden funded by a grant from one of the offspring of the original owners, a
wide collection of exotic trees, and a Chinese pavilion sent from China a few
years ago as a good-will gesture (publicity stunt). It has finally been
agreed that plantings in place could remain but no more exotics could be
introduced.  And this is supposed to be a research center?  Give me a break!