Re: Buddleia davidii a noxious weed???

Absolutely, Auralie!

Seems to me that what starts out with all good intentions soon
develops into something that makes very little sense.

Until about 25 years ago or so, very few people even realized that
plants could be native or exotic; few people were aware that there
were problems with the environment.  Well, it is a good thing that
more people ARE aware that there is an environment and that humans
can have an impact on its health, BUT, like a lot of good intentions,
the whole movement has gone too far.  It seems that humans can't just
use moderation; we have to go off the deep end for about any cause we
support.

Preserving the status quo is an unreasonable goal for ANY aspect of
life on this planet.  Trying to go back to some pristine environment
that no living human has ever experienced is also unreasonable.

Current thinking has gotten so fuzzy.  Too many are on the 'native
only' bandwagon without actually thinking about native to what and
when nor whether it's actually reasonable or possible to change the
course of nature to meet our preconceived ideas about what it ought
to be.

Yes, it is sad to see native plant stands die out, but they will
continue to do so as long as we humans continue to muck with
eco-systems.  It's not exotic plants that kill off native plants;
it's human activity.  But, it's a whale of a lot easier to blame it
all on some poor plant than change human habits.

When any government agency gets involved; Katie bar  the door!  Logic
has no place in bureaucracy.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635
----------
> From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
> What conservationists want, it seems to me, is to preserve the
status quo.
> On the otherhand, change is a natural process - look at the fossils
of sea
> creatures found on mountaintops and in deserts.  I'm sure that
throughout the
> history of the world there have been some plants, animals, or other
forms of life
> that were better adapted than others.  I, too, hate the
enviromental
> degradation we see around us, and deplore loss of habitats, etc.,
but I think all this
> fuss about non-native plants is absurd. For instance, our County
Executive has
> decreed that only native plants can be planted in any Westchester
County park
> or facility.  This has created great consternation in several
locations where
> there were extensive plantings, such as Lasdon Park & Arboretum
where there
> are large azalea and rhododendron plantings, and a recently
installed
> "synoptic" garden funded by a grant from one of the offspring of
the original owners, a
> wide collection of exotic trees, and a Chinese pavilion sent from
China a few