Re: now grandkids

In a message dated 03/19/2004 4:54:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jesserenebell@hotmail.com writes:

> Thanks for those words of encouragement Auralie.  I appreciate it.  He
> wanted to join the Navy, now he wants Marines...which is front line stuff
> and makes me want to cry just thinking about it.  But it is what he WANTS to
> do...and I can say no for now (He's not 18 yet) but in October when he turns
> 18, he'll do it anyway.  So I just say my prayers for protection during this
> difficult time in the world.  *sigh*  And the structured life is what he
> NEEDS.  He went to military school because he was not doing well in high
> school.  I was exasperated with him and his grades and his whole attitude.
> He came back from military school calling me "Sgt. Mom" and "yes sir" stuff.
>  He has been a total joy to be around!!!  So, I know this will be a good
> choice for him career wise and life-wise.  He will be going to college while
> in the military and training for a career.  I think he'll be fine.  Now if I
> can just convince my HUSBAND!

I do know how you feel, Jesse.  But consider that he has already had
experience with military school, so the regimented life won't be such a shock to him.
And the very good thing is that this is what he wants to do.  So many young
persons at that age have no idea of what they want to do.  I'm afraid that my
son, and both the grandsons in the military were doing it to avoid something
they didn't want to do, rather than something they really wanted to do.  As for
the dangers of military life - those are dangerous years for young men
whereever they are.  Automobiles, etc.  My son returned from four years in the navy
and went to college.  Riding a bicycle to school one morning he was struck by a
car driven by a mother taking her children to school.  He lost his nose and
all the bones in his face were crushed.  Thank goodness his eyes were spared,
but he was in the hospital for weeks and had  repeated plastic surgeries to
reconstruct his face for more than a year.  I tell you this just  to remind you
that the military isn't the only dangerous place for young men.
  As for your husband - I have no advice. I never solved that problem here
either.  Men can be so obtuse sometimes -even the best of them.  My husband is
far more tolerant and understanding of his grandsons than he ever was of his
sons.  Doesn't make our life easier, does it.
Hang in there.  Sounds like your son has great potential.  Remember that the
military has turned out some great men.