Selby plant sale

Selby Botanical Gardens is having its annual spring plant sale today and tomorrow. The short one and I went, of course. Selby's plant sales are hard to pass up, mostly because they bring out a lot small specialty nurseries. And tomorrow, there will be a bluegrass band [Easy Pickin's] performing as well.

But, the Selby puts a pretty heavy surcharge on everything, so we avoid the known growers, like Tropiflora; we can buy their stuff at their nursery next week for a lot less.

This time we got away for less than $30, which may be a record for us--only three plants: First. we bought another Thai hybrid crown of thorns to add to the many we already have. This one has very pale yellow [almost white] flowers that are almost 2 inches in diameter.

Second, we bought a pitcher plant in a hanging basket for the short one's class room. Her little barbarians are fascinated with the Venus flytraps they have, so this seemed like a good addition to the lesson plan.

Third, we bought a Sinningia bulbosa, another fat plant, this one with pretty red flowers. It seems to grow on the beaches in the Rio de Janeiro area, so I assume it would be salt tolerant.

We also picked up addresses of out-of-area nurseries we intend to track down on long weekends. One of them, in Hollywood [that's across the state from here], had a few variegated Rhapis palms for sale. Really neat. I'd never seen one before. One-gallon containers with a single 8-inch stem [Rhapis, common name is Lady Palm, is a clumper] were priced at $95.00 per. Ahem; think I'll visit the nursery and see how much they are at home. Sure neat looking, though.

Island Jim Southwest Florida Zone 10