Re: Selby plant sale

Jim, you plant sale sounds fantastic! Also, I was glad to see something from
this group - this is the first today.

I am being totally frustrated.  Because of the pressures of work and other
events my seed and plant orders have been pretty hit-or-miss so far this year.
This weekend I realized that I had better "fish or cut bait"  on this year's
orders, since I had just a couple of days respite before things heat up again,
and time is running out even though we are again snow-covered.  Well, I
checked through all my orders and received seeds  to see what I still hadn't taken
care of, and I find some pretty big holes.  I had noticed when I made my
earlier orders that numerous things were not where I usually found them, but assumed
that I would come across them somewhere else.  Not so.  For years I have
ordered plants from Bluestone Perennials, and one staple of my order was a dozen
rue (Ruta graveolens) which is not reliably winter-hardy here, but is one thing
the deer reliably don't eat.  Bluestone doesn't list rue this year.  Nor does
it list Bergarten Sage, which is a staple of my container plantings.  I
thought surely someone would have these, but I have searched through all my large
collection of catalogs with no success.  Then I find that Piedmont Plants, from
whom I have ordered onions, broccoli, leeks, collards, etc. for years has
gone out of business.  There was another catalog that offered onion plants and
leeks, but none of the others - and wouldn't you know I can't find that catalog.
 Then there are seeds I have always ordered that are suddenly not to be found
like the Galore series marigolds, Small World zinnias, Unicorn plant (
Martynia proboscidia) and  white pattypan squash (fancy green and yellow ones enough,
but I like the white ones.).  I know there are said to be better new
varieties, but when I know these are dependable and I like them, I still would like to
be able to grow them.

I realize all these thing sound pretty pedestrian compared with orchids and
palms, but I wouldn't trade my peonies for your palms. I would be happier with
a bit less snow, however.  My DH is going to try planting peas through the
snow this afternoon.  He prepared the rows last week when there was a brief thaw.
 St. Patrick's day is the traditional pea-planting date around here, but that
was not possible through the snow this year.  I hope he can do it - this is
the only gardening event that he takes much
interest in, but this is sorta a "rite of spring" for him, I guess.