From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Marge Talt
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2004 2:53 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] raptors was: NOW mini-mansions and disgust

In the dim recesses of what passes for my brain, I seem to recall a
program in DC to introduce falcons to reduce the pigeon population, but
I can't remember what happened to them or it.

I have a couple of red-tailed hawks living somewhere around here.
They are magnificent birds; had one get a starling one winter on the
deck about 5 ' from where we were looking out the window; held it's
wings over it while dining so nobody else could steal it.  Anyway,
yesterday, one of them spent the day on a branch in a tree near the
'back deck' side of the house.  Not a squirrel at the bird feeders all
day; the small birds and current chipmunk had a ball:-)

We also have turkey vultures around here.  Sometimes, when I put the
Xmas turkey carcass out on the slab for the foxes and other critters,
they come to get it. The crows don't like that and create quite a fuss.
They're huge birds (the turkey vultures), really.  Not beautiful up
close, but majestic soaring in the air.

Also have barred owls; again, magnificent critters.  I love to hear them
calling of a summer's night.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi
All Suite101.com garden topics : http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: Bonnie Holmes <holmesbm@usit.net>
>
> We don't have a program but the raptors have moved into the little
> Knoxville downtown where there are actually a handful of taller
buildings
> to eat the pigeons...the papers have featured them once or twice.
We live
> around 26 miles from there along the TN River, which is also Fort
Loudoun
> Lake.  Frequently, we see a flock of around 50 turkey vultures.
Sometimes
> they roost in one of the larger trees...makes a wonderful picture
in deep
> autumn...or, we see them catching wind drafts...beautiful.
Occasionally,
> we also see a hawk or two.  A few years ago, we actually had eagles
on one
> of the river bluffs but there has been so much building, retired
snow birds
> who can afford these huge homes, that we don't see them anymore.
>
> Bonnie Zone 6+ ETN

population

http://www.hort.net/funds/