Re: NOW mini-mansions and disgust

Zem has shamed me into it, so I guess it's time to fess up. I live in one of those areas that regularly votes down city water. And I vote with the majority. There are several reasons to reject city water here, not the least of which is you can strike water at about 10 feet or less so wells are not all that expensive or mysterious or difficult--just stick a shovel in the ground and sweat a little.

Second, the older subdivisions were not plumbed for city water. If you live in an older subdivision, as I do, and you vote for "city" water now, you're first assessed for bringing in the mains from wherever the closest connecting point is. That seems reasonable--if you want it, pay for it.

But it's not just a water main they bring in or you will pay for. We don't have municipal sewerage in these subdivisions either, so when they bring in the water mains, they also bring in the sewer mains, which only makes sense--dig the street up once, piss the residents off once.

Except the rules are you've gotta hook up to both water and sewage when you hook up to one.
they're fiscally linked--you pay for water by a yearly tax that includes a sewer tax [the sewer tax is based on water usage--doesn't make sense--how many toilet flushes equal watering a pear tree? but I guess it's got to be based on something].

But wait! They also lay grey water mains when they've got the road dug up, which also makes sense [if piping reclaimed water in a separate system makes sense. Someone has to ask, "If it's re-claimed, why isn't it potable?].

And when you hook up to the city water and the city sewer, you're also required to hook up to the city grey water system. The upshot is you have to hire someone with a proper license to sort out your plumbing system, get all the proper permits, and pay off all the bureaucrats so, maybe, the right fluids go to the right place. Does anyone remember the movie "Brazil"?

A well and a septic tank--a proper distance one from another, mind you--meet the requirements of Occam's razor. And, perhaps more importantly, annual costs are in the hands of the public utility commission [electric wattage] and not in the hands of the local pols and their taxing authority.