Re: NOW mini-mansions and disgust now municipal water

Jim: All of that makes perfect sense to me...under those conditions I
probably wouldn't vote for hooking up to municipal water either. Our
town is faced with a dilemma, however...our selurian acquifer, which is
the source of our shallower sandpoint wells, is contaminated with a
chemical called perchlorate, a byproduct of rocket
fuel/munitions/fertilizer manufacturing. At this point in time, only
half the town is contaminated...roughly the people on the south side of
Main street, which divides the town roughly in half. No scientist in
America is prepared to tell us that the other half will or won't become
contaminated over time, nor are they willing to tell us how long this
stuff will persist in the acquifer. Worst case scenario of this chemical
contaminant involves thryoid cancers, neurological toxicity to fetuses
resulting in learning disabilites, etc. So far there appears to be no
known health cluster of any identifiable kind in the residents, past or
current, of Hills, but data measurements have changed over the years so
this may not be reliably tracked, either. Please note that this is a
chemical that is not routinely tested for in water...a special test must
be done to detect it...you have to actively go looking for it to know it
is there. Problem #1 comes in that the Dept. of Defense is loathe to
have widespread testing of this done, as at one time perchlorate was
used as a stabilizing agent for the transport of uranium and plutonium
therefore the DOD feels that wholesale identification of perchlorate
contamination might potentially disclose locations of storage of these
nuclear chemicals to terrorists. Problem #2 comes in that the
aerojet/space industry and the DOD have routinely been taking rocket
fuel out and dumping it in vast quantity whenever they needed to get rid
of it, thinking it would just soak up into the ground and not be a
problem...major liability issues there. Anywhere you have an airforce
base, you have perchlorate contamination. problem #3: The folks at the
EPA tell me that onc

e perchlorate testing is done on a widescale basis across the nation, it
will probably result in much of the entire US' underground water supply
being contaminated in low levels with this...now isn't that a
frightening thought? All of Lake Mead and the Colorado river is
contaminated and as you know this is the source of irrigation for the
portion of the US that supplies a large % of the country's leafy green
vegetables ,especially lettuce whose cellular structure easily uptakes

So, in this case, I think this time, I will be voting yes for municipal
water. Have you had your well tested for perchlorate today? That's kind
of a catchy tune, don't you think? :-) I sometimes think I have to laugh
about this whole thing or I'd really be wanting to take a shotgun and
shoot whoever started dumping this stuff in the first place!

okay, I'm off **my** soapbox now...sorry folks!

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein