Re: Christmas in March, vole damage

I, too have had a similar experience with stray toms a couple of times.
There was one old guy that hung around the area for more than a year, but would
not let anyone touch him.  One bitter cold night we lured him inside.  After
that he thought he was part of the family, and became a total lap-cat.  When a
pair of kittens came to live with us, he "mothered" them until they were about a
year old, then became hostile to the young male.  He died soon after that,
and the the other cats visibly mourned for him.