Re: Christmas in March, vole damage

Zem,
I think that Slugger probably had some human care early in life.  He's in
good shape, no mites, no disease, pretty healthy.  I had petted him a few
times, but had also been bitten and scratched by him.  It was only after he
got sick and I had him treated and neutered that he turned so friendly.
Lap's not good enough - he has to reach up and nuzzle my neck.  I think he
remembered something from a long time ago.

Braveheart is another story.  I fed him in my Florida room for 2 yrs and he
wouldn't let me touch him.  Eventually he came inside as I often keep the
sliding door open and he would look at the other cats lying on me while I
watched TV lying on the couch.  One day when the other cats had jumped off
to go check out the food bowls, he looked at me lying there and decided to
give it a try and leapt up on my chest.  I am sure he had NEVER had a taste
of human kindness before.  This one had a kinked tail, deformed ears full of
mites, and one eye with cataracts.  He is such a sweetheart now.

Slugger is learning to share.  Over time things may work out, but I really
didn't want another cat.  5 is way too many.  However, I don't know if
giving him to someone would work out.  This has been his neighborhood for
several years, I'm not sure he would transition to a new location well.

I think Melvin will eventually fit in.  It takes time.  Cats have long
memories, longer than dogs.  Additionally, it is my understanding that after
neutering, it takes awhile for the body to adjust hormone levels.  I don't
know for how long after, but the other cats may still smell his stronger
scent.

Kitty