Re: bluebirds

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] bluebirds
  • From: "Libby Valentine" <L_Valentine@adelphia.net>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 09:21:56 -0500

Don't keep them too well cleaned out!  Sometimes they start building their
nest and it takes a while for them to finish - if you keep cleaning up as
they're trying to build, they will go elsewhere.  I clean mine out in the
late fall and then check them early spring, mostly to make sure no wasps'
nests have been started.  If they have 2 or 3 broods I try to clean out in
between, but timings not always easy and they don't seem to care much.
Somehow I have ended up with 3 boxes fairly close together, because the tree
swallows use the one on the far end, and the bluebirds use the middle one
first and the one closest to the house later in the summer.  It's contrary
to all the best advice and research, but it has worked here.

Your setup sounds great; just give them time. It does help if you have open
space with some shrubs around, or a tree in the middle of some open space.
I even put a 2"x2" wooden stake (about 4-5' high) out in the side yard for a
few years - they love to sit on top and watch for insects to catch.

I have a feeder for them (mealworms), too.

Good luck - they're worth it!

Maryland zone 6