Re: Re: blackberries/gardenias

Pam, I'd worry more about aphids and sooty mold than white flies if it was my gardenia--not that either are destructive, but they sure make the plant look terrible.

On Sunday, March 28, 2004, at 12:18 PM, "" <gardenqueen@academicplanet.com> wrote:

I hope blackberry vines are better behaved up North. They run wild here too.
Well, I did break my oath to never purchase a non-xeriscape plant again.
Bought a dwarf gardenia today when I went to McDade's for lemon verbena
and lava sand.

It's in a large pot so I can control the soil pH and will be on the
prowl for whiteflies. Found that sweet myrtle too that Jesse was looking
for. Didn't know they got 10' tall. So I made room for it out there
along the tree/shrub line. Just about using a shoe horn out there now. I
must be bonkers. Had to dig up a four o'clock tuber the size of a yam.
Wow. Monstrous thing. Just starting to drizzle now, so my timing was
lucky. Good thing too - really overdid it w/ my back this morning.

Pam Evans
Kemp, TX
zone 8A
----- Original Message -----
From: Andrea H
Sent: 3/27/2004 9:17:00 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Buddleia davidii a noxious weed???

talk about noxious weeds! You're actually going to plant a blackberry vine
on purpose? Would you like me to send you some? I spend most of my time
battling them to keep them from overrunning everything. I suspect they are
actually dewberries but the concept is the same. They are tasty, but oh my
aching soul they drive me nuts!

However, I am sorry to hear about the trellis and the rose. I've been
fortunate not to loose anything to high winds yet, but tornado season hasn't
quite arrived either. And then hurricane season starts of course!

Andrea H Beaufort, SC

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wendy Swope" <wendyswope@mindspring.com> To: <gardenchat@hort.net> Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2004 9:47 AM Subject: RE: [CHAT] Buddleia davidii a noxious weed???

Thanks, Bonnie! The garden may not be, er, unified, but verdant it
certainly is! <s>

I lost my 10 foot rustic trellis in the front yard to the big windstorm
last week (was it only last week? we had 50 mph gusts, for those of you
who aren't in our neck of the woods!), but the "Alberic Barbier" rose
that was trained to it may still be salvagable. No roots pulled up. I am
thinking of putting up pea fence and retraining it horizontally into a
space that has been a grass path between beds, and maybe adding a
blackberry vine or two to intertwine with it. Another big project! The
first step will be cutting the rose free of the fallen trellis, followed
by stripping the sod path and putting down landscape barrier and mulch
where I'm planning to erect the pea fence.

Did you lose anything to the wind?

Green Hugs,