Re: Sunken Gardens, now theft

Nah, Rich. Only in Detroit and Southwest Florida!

On Sunday, March 28, 2004, at 04:37 PM, Richard T. Apking wrote:

Remindes me of a story, back in 1960 when I was attending college in Detroit
MI (Wayne State) I saw, for the very first time, sod and real live
landscaping being done. I walked by this building in the morning, the
grounds around it were dirt and construction debris; when I walked by it
again that afternoon, there were trees, shrubs, and a lawn. I was just
flabbaergasted, it was truly amazing. The nest morning on the way to class,
someone had removed most of the shrubs and the sod. Only in Detroit.
----- Original Message -----
From: "james singer" <jsinger@igc.org>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, March 28, 2004 8:21 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Sunken Gardens, now theft

We've had a lot of stuff stolen from the nursery, but more often stolen
from a job site if the install isn't completed and the plants just sit
around over night. But we've also had them dig up newly installed
plants and cart them off.

One of the developers we landscape for recently caught a woman in one
of his condominium complexes digging up plants from around other
buildings and re-planting them around her building. She agreed to buy
replacements rather than have him press charges. And then the
maintenance company hauled her transplants to the dump.