I'm guilty of never scrolling down to the bottom of messages, so I tend to
forget the hort.net fund.  I did send a small 2nd contribution early this
month, but never noticed the update Chris posted which I have pasted in
below. Thought some of you might have been as unaware as I was of the
improvements - and what's next.

Updates  (Jan 16, 2004)
Thank you for your contributions to hort.net! We're well on our way to
reaching our goal!

I've decided to take $500 out of every $2000 received and dedicate it
towards hardware and infrastructured needs, so this will allow hort.net to
continue growing in the meantime. For example, so far we've purchased a
160GB hard drive, an 80GB hard drive, and are ordering an IDE RAID
controller card. With this new equipment we're now almost totally protected
against data loss. We're also purchasing another network card to set up a
firewall between our network and the Internet, so our systems will be much
more secure and we can limit individuals who use too much bandwidth (like
the people who try downloading the whole picture gallery to their hard

Once we reach our next stage ($4000) we'll be able to commit to a two-year
contract with a different upstream Internet service provider. Doing so will
double the speed of our Internet connection for less than we're currently

Please, keep those contributions rolling in! We can make hort.net a much
better place together!