From: Kitty [mailto: kmrsy@comcast.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 23:39:20 -0500
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Royal Paulownia

Ceres,<br>I couldn't tell from your post whether you thought topping and
coppicing<br>were similar practices or that one just brought the other
to mind.<br>Coppicing is cutting the shrub to ground level and stooling
cuts generally<br>to 6-24 inches from the ground year to encourage lots
of new growth.<br>(there is also pollarding, but I think people often
use all 3 terms<br>interchangeably) Topping is a stupid practice done to
Society of Arboriculture:<br>Topping is perhaps the most harmful tree
pruning practice known. Yet,<br>despite more than 25 years of literature
and seminars explaining its harmful<br>effects, topping remains a common
practice. This brochure explains why<br>topping is not an acceptable
pruning technique and offers better<br>alternatives.
Original Message ----- <br>From: <Cersgarden@aol.com><br>To:
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2004 10:56
dated 3/27/04 8:12:49 PM, vldunn@widomaker.com writes:<br>><br>> << I
remember when just riding around<br>><br>> Baltimore that I observed
row-house gardens that would have a single<br>><br>> "coppiced" tree in
the backyard. >><br>><br>> Verona, this made me think of the many trees
I saw in the D.C. area which<br>I<br>> guess you might say they were
topped or at least severly pruned. Anyone<br>know<br>> why? This is a

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com