Zone 5

In a message dated 03/31/2004 1:54:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
richa@midlands.net writes:

> Hi Donna,
> Have already cut a boquet of about 30 blooms (Daffodil) and delivered to a
> shut-in elderly lady here in town, and bunches more are blooming, as well as
> the hyacinths.  They sure smell good.  Of course the crocus are looking good
> and the pansies are starting to bloom.  Rich in Z-5

How nice of you, Rich, to take daffodils to a shut-in lady.  For many years I
always took the first bunch to a dear friend who had been a polio victim as a
child and lived in a wheel-chair, but she died last spring.  I will miss her
when the daffs do bloom here.

Zone 5 covers a lot of territory.  I have two daffs blooming in a very
protected spot against a boulder.  Several hundred others are only two or three
inches high with no sign of buds.  Crocus are blooming and a few Iris reticulata
and I. danfordiae. One of my Hellebores has a bunch of blooms, but the other
three are just beginning to show buds. That's about it around here.  It will be
a couple of weeks at least before I can pick bunches of anything.

As for Buddleia, the local instructions are to cut it back to about six
inches before it begins to sprout in the spring.  I can't swear that this is the
best  practice, since mine have never lived more than two or three years.  The
one that grew in the yard where I grew up in the Florida Panhandle long ago
never had anything done to it, and it was always a fine, sturdy bush - so I guess
climate enters into the picture somehow.