From: Kitty
Sent: 3/3/2005 6:14:15 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: Re: [CHAT] front porch/yard is toast

> thanks.  insurance company lowballed me so I'm essentially screwed.  how

nice.

Not necessarily.  If you can substantiate some of your costs, itemize them

to show what you had in it or what it would cost to replace it, you might

get them to increase it a bit.  When my first Suzuki was totaled, I had

retained my original receipts.  They only wanted to give me 9000 for it, but

with the receipts showing the customized Alpine stereo and the removable

hardtop, I got them to bump it up to 12000.  They are lowballing it by

giving you what an average yard would be valued at - they are comparing you

to your neighbors.  Itemize what a wall would cost to replace.  Include

local circulars showing the prices.  List your plants; include catalog pages

showing the prices.  Get several estimates for all work that needs done.

You should receive an amount that puts your yard back to what it was without

requiring a lot of back-breaking work on your part.

Fight back.  It is the insurance estimator's job to provide the estimate to

you but it is also his job to keep it as low as he can.  He's the guy in the

middle and he knows he has some wiggle room.  Give him reason to wiggle a

little.  I know you can do that ;+)

Kitty

> Pam Evans

> Kemp, TX

> zone 8A

pain

> and suffering on the horizon. Has Sugar come out from under the bed yet?

I'm

> so sorry you have this to deal with. Even if you come away with an

improved