Re: Okay, serious stuff

Jim, I'm certainly no expert and have no professional background, but
I have started started seeds indoors for close to fifty years.  I'm sure
you are planning a much grander operation than I have ever had, but
I do have one tip.  I have used cooky pans in the past to catch drips,
and find they rust and end up being pretty messy.  I now usually use
aluminum roasting pans which can be discarded at the end of the

I have never used heating coils.  The things that I think need bottom
heat, especially squash, I start on top of the dryer and furnace in the
laundry room, and bring out into the light when the first seed-leaves
appear.  I realize you're thinking of a much bigger operation, but
do you really think you would need the heat in your climate?

For many years I started seeds in plastic cups full of vermiculite.
I would put the whole packet of seeds into one cup, and when the
sprouts had four leaves would transplant each into those plastic
six-packs.  Labor intensive.  Now I have some of Parks' starters
and also fill six-packs with soil and put  two or three seeds into
each - remove the weakest as they grow.  Less time and effort,
but I'm not sure I have any better results.

I'm telling myself each day that it's too soon to start seeds, but
I'm sure I will not be able to resist doing it soon even though I
know I should wait until the end of the month.  Good luck with