To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 05, 2005 11:24 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] It's over!/compost

Zem,
Our MG presentations are all advertised as a list, no one talk advertised
more than another. I attended the 6:30 one tonight, the latest it ever is
and it was more sparse - maybe 20 and most of them MGs. I knew the
scheduled speaker had bowed out at the last minute and the HortEd was going
to take over his subject, so for me it was a triple attraction. 1) it was
after work, so I could get there, 2) I did want to hear about pruning, and
3) I'm well aware that the Hort Ed is a very good speaker, so it would be
entertaining. However, most folks weren't aware of anything more than that
it was about pruning. He has his own scheduled talk tomorrow that I'll also
attend.

We try to select topics of interest, but some titles must not sound
interesting to the general population. Did you think your Fri-Sat topics
were of equal interest to those earlier in the week? And I wondered why he
didn't have later presentations during the week for people who come after
work, but he said people don't come later. I noticed, being there for all
sessions on Friday, that the largest attendance was for the first pres at
noon and each one after had fewer. Was it the subject? Was it the time of
day? Was it the type of people who come at certain times of day? I don't
know. But I think daytime presentations draw people who have plenty of time
and wouldn't mind sitting down for awhile. While weekenders and evening
folks need to cram more into a few hours and spend it at the trade show.

You are right, the Hoosier ReLeaf site only deals withthr tree project. I
think he's just so busy he hasn't gotten the composting on the web. He has
made videos with partners who do landscaping and they show how they slavage
all the scrap from a wooded lot, save specific trees, AND rope off the area
for home building to prevent heavy equipment from compacting tree roots.
They take all the scrap produced in building the home from the trees they
remove to the drywall waste, compost it in 6-12 weeks and then return it to
the building site to spread and then sow grass. He says grass grows green,
fast, and klush in the compost. He owns Ringgenberg's Garten Haus, but I
couldn't find anything on the web about it except that it's a state IDEM
location.

Kitty

Kitty
neIN, Z5