Re: It's over!/compost

Way to go, Kitty, congratulations. I bet it was a great talk - big audience, too!

We have what appears to be a very successful recycling program in my
town, but sometimes I wonder what really happens to all the collected
material. They collect it in the regular garbage truck, and if they are
behind (eg. missed a week because of snow or something), they'll throw
the paper and the glass/metal in together. And I sometimes wonder about
the lack of thought from the recycling participants, too: being downhill
and downwind of the houses on our street, our yard collects, and we
clean up, a large amount of stuff that didn't stay in the bins. It
doesn't take much to rinse containers, I don't think, or to make an
attempt to check the type of plastic, or even to read the material
regarding what is recyclable and what is not. It's still a step in the
right direction, though.

Libby
Maryland zone 6

"Fort Wayne, IN" <4042N15@nationalhearing.com> wrote:
Dear Friends,
I just wanted to write and thank all of you for your support, information,
and treasures some sent, to help me with my presentation at the Home &
Garden Show. It went well. I had an audience of 77; the MG who assisted me
stretched out my 60 booklet handouts by only giving one to couples. The
powerpoint presentation I had on a borrowed laptop connected to a provided
projector and it all flowed seamlessly - except for the time I dropped the
microphone. I was happy I had samples of materials and bulbs to show as
most of the other speakers simply relied on slides and I think some of the
attendees enjoyed the opportunity to actually see and touch the materials.
Thank goodness it is over, though. On to real gardening.

The last presentation yesterday was on composting so I thought I'd see if
the speaker had anything new to say. Well, it was nothing like what I
expected. He is the president of Hoosier ReLeaf and he showed videos of his
38 acre composting site. They compost absolutely everything - drywall,
sawdust, manure, all building materials, leaves, etc. He began this in
conjuction with a local construction company when Indiana was pushing to
reduce yardwaste going to landfills. Then the state decided it didn't care,
so of course, the construction company didn't care either and dumped the
project. This man, owner of a nursery, was able to scrape up enough money
to buy just one of the machines. And now he does it himself. It is
soooooooooo amazing! I haven't seen the website yet, but you might like to
look at it:
www.hoosierreleaf.org
He explained how, if McDonalds changed just their straws, he could compost
all their waste. If Pizza Hut changed just their pop lids, he could compost
everything. But he can't get in to talk to the right people. He sells his
compost for about $70 a ton. He says they do the same thing in CA, but
there they get $400 per ton. When he worked with the county, he was able to
do 26 times as much as he can on his own, but he still keeps 14 rows of
compost going all the time. Unfortunately, he said the state is making some
new zoning restrictions and they pay force him down to only one row, which
would put him out of business.

How can Indiana be so incredibly stupid? Separating yardwaste isn't
difficult and the benefits are from here to the moon. Instead, everything
goes to the dump.

Kitty