Re: pruning cuts

I have some anvil loppers, and if the branch is on the largish side or
the wood is just tough, I do a similar thing and turn the loppers so the
blade side is underneath, and I cut upward. Keeps the bark from
stripping off the bottom, anyway.

Libby
Maryland zone 6

"Fort Wayne, IN" <4042N15@nationalhearing.com> wrote:
Cathy,
Are your loppers anvil or bypass? Ratchet?
I use an old ratchet bypass lopper, never sharpened, that still seems to cut
cleanly. Don't try to cut anything larger than it can handle. If there is a
little bit of stripping left on the removed side, I clean it up with
pruners. I haven't had that happen on the attached side.
Sometimes I cheat and do use my loppers on something larger than I should.
In that case, I cut only so far, then flip the loppers over, or move myself
to a different angle. I position the loppers in the same grooves made from
the previous cut, but now the blade is in a new area. I may only reposition
once, sometimes 2 or 3 times. I know - I should go get the saw, but I'm
kind of lazy that way. But I do seem to still get a clean cut.

Kitty