poison oak/ivy

I went to the Dr. yesterday for poison ivy on my forearms. I would have sworn that I didn't need to worry about it at all. I was pulling out vinca major in my back garden but at this time of the year the birds could have planted it and with no leaves I didn't think about it. It makes me crazy. I always think, "at this age you would think that I could figure out how to stay out of it."
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid or it or tolerate it?

I already have a little
poison oak from a trek down my hill and the leaves aren't even out yet and I
would have sworn I didn't touch any!
--Barb Tandy, Grass Valley CA