Re: Okay, serious stuff

That's essentially how I had my hydroponic garden set up--except there was a water circulation pump or two in the mix.

On Wednesday, March 9, 2005, at 12:05 PM, Fort Wayne, IN wrote:

For my setup in my family room, I plug the timer in the bottom recepticle of
the wall socket; the top still accomodates a regular room lamp. I plug the
powerstrip into the timer. That way the powerstrip can handle 5 shoplights.
I bring another powerstrip from another timer on a different wall into which
I plug the heat mats. Two of my heat mats have those big bulky plugs that,
as you mentioned, prevent use of all sockets. One has a regular plug.

The highest shoplight's cord doesn't reach the powerstrip so I use an heavy
duty appliance extension cord to make it reach. I know all of this is
probably making Donna cringe, but it has worked fine for years.

Kitty
----- Original Message -----
From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ AFFTC/ITSR" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 9:43 AM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Okay, serious stuff

Yes, I already have one of those. It's a little one though. You know how
big
those timers are, you plug it into one space but it's so big you can't
plug
anything in next to it. So two of those take up four outlets on the surge
protector. I looked at some other ways to arrange it but can't come up
with
anything that doesn't involve cables draped over half the workbench.
I know I could get bigger mats, or heating cables, but I just haven't
wrapped my mind around the idea that I want to spend more on the setup.
The
little heat mats are pretty cheap, comparatively speaking, so I just
muddle
through. I only start tomatoes and peppers, and a couple herbs, inside. If
ever get motivated I'd also like to do my annual flowers. Maybe lettuces.
Salad season is pretty short here.

Cyndi