-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 1:22 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] OT - who owns whom

I mentioned Hanoi Shanghai Bank Corporation awhile back, when I kept
receiving invitations for a HSBC credit card.  Today I was quite surprised
when I read the fine print (I don't have a lot to do here at work) on an
invitation for a General Motors credit card.  The GM card is part of the
HSBC group. Part of the reason I'm interested, especially today, in such
things is....I settled down to watch the network news broadcasts last night.
Locally, CBS, ABC, and NBC all air their evening news broadcasts at 6:30 and
I tend to flip around among the 3 channels. But at 6:30 NBC Nightly News was
replaced by the local ABC affiliate's local broadcast.  Yes, local ABC was
being shown in place of nationwide NBC. It seems that the owner of the ABC
affiliate bought the local NBC affiliate and upon taking posession, fired
all but a handful of the local NBC staff. They say they can operate both
stations more efficiently.  Yeah, one news source for both.  Of course they
have to air NBC network news, but obviously don't want their news shows
competing, so now it will be on at 7pm, while the other 2 are still aired at
6:30. No big deal?  I am just so sick to death of everyone buying everyone
else out. I think Burpee still owns Heronswood, unless some bigger
conglomerate swallowed them all up.  Marge's recent post about APHIS
describes limited availability to plant material in the future.  How limited
will our news resources be?

Kitty