Genus & Species

I have a question. After all these years of gardening, studying, etc, I
was looking at the Wayside Gardens catalog for about the hundredth time
tonight. MANY of their plants are labeled with only the genus and then
the cultivar or hybrid name. From my early horticulture classes, if I
recall, most all plant are either genus and species, genus, species, and
cultivar, or genus X (meaning a cross, or hybrid, and the name).

SO, my question is, how can you tell what the species of these plants
are or what the crosses of hybrids are? I'm specifically referring to
Magnolias, although many of their plants were listed like this.

They have Magnolia 'Coral Lake', Magnolia 'Sunrise', Magnolia
'Sunspire', (which I bought) but no indication of what "kind" they are.
Mine is deciduous, and most of these I'm sure are some cross of Magnolia
soulangeana. And, Coral Lake even has the hybridizer's name in the
description, but no reference to him in the plant name.

What am I missing? Why is there on the Genus, and the cultivar name? I feel sure I should know the answer to this, but I don't.

Andrea H