Re: Genus & Species

another thing...Sometimes you'll see xHeucherella and sometimes just
Heucherella.  This is an intergeneric cross for which they crossed a
Heuchera with a Tiarella, creating a xHeucherella.  The x belongs in front
of the the new genus name (sometimes with a space as in "x H.") to indicate
it is an intergeneric hybrid.  However they've been making Heucherellas for
quite a while now, so they usually drop the x (screws up their

I'm sure you are familiar with addtional taxonomies like variety (var.),
forma, (f.), and subspecies (ssp. or subsp.) but I recently came across a
listing that was new to me. It is called a graft chimera and is designated
with a plus sign in front of the genus name, as in :  +Laburnocytisus
adamii.  A Parisian, J.L. Adam grafted Chamaecytisus purpureus (Purple
Broom) onto Laburnum anagyroides (Golden Rain Tree).  He expected the
flowers to be the pinkish purple of the Purple Broom, but they were bicolor,
both yellow and purple, a result of contributing factors from both the
rootstock and the scion.  Over time these trees had not only the "hybrid"
flowers but also flowers of both the rootstock and  scion began to appear
along the tree's branches.

The tree is an ammalgamation of both parents' genetic material, but without
actual fushion of the cells.  This is known as a graft chimera, defined as a
grafted plant that exhibits a rare phenomenon wherein the cells of the
rootstock extend upward and into the scion while retaining their genetic

neIN, Z5