Re: hamamelis

The Gardener's Curse has struck again. Fortunately, it don't matter.

On Mar 15, 2005, at 11:25 AM, Judy L Browning wrote:

I have H. "Jelena" still in the pot I bought it in 3 years ago. Has bloomed
in the shade every late Feb/early March. Got to get it in the ground this
year. It has reddish gold bloom, some fragrance.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Libby Valentine" <grdner03@yahoo.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 7:41 AM
Subject: [CHAT] hamamelis

Anybody growing witch hazel? I have a spot I want to put one (but only
one right now, since they get to 12-20' over the years). I've been
reading up on them but can't find all the info I need on the varieties:
bloom time, fragrance, fall color, habit. I was looking at 'Diane' (red,
good fall color) and 'Arnold's Promise' (yellow, pops up frequently as
great cultivar). Both are Hamamelis x intermedia.

I think I'll end up getting it from ForestFarm since White Flower Farms
wants over $50 for one, but I'd appreciate learning of other sources if
anyone has gotten one elsewhere. Local nurseries here, if they have
them, have only Hamamelis virginiana, common witch hazel, which flowers
in December and suckers. Early spring flowering, fragrance, and more
upright habit (not too spreading) would be my top 3 criteria. And fall
color. Early spring flowering, fragrance, upright habit, and orange/red
fall color would be my top 4 criteria...

Any witch hazels out there?

Libby
Maryland zone 6

Island Jim