Re: I have undertaken the greatest challenge

Guess. Urine seems to be the main conveyor of N. Maybe I'm wrong, but high numbers for chicken are consistent with that. So maybe it's the difference between wet and dry. Interesting, though.

On Mar 15, 2005, at 7:07 PM, Kitty wrote:

For those of you paying attention to decimal point locations, what do you
make of the two different reports from Reich on cow manure? I mean there's
a big difference between two percent nitrogen and one quarter of one percent
nitrogen. I realize there will be differences in batches, but that's a
lot. Might it have something to do with a difference in dry or fresh?

Kitty
neIN, Z5
----- Original Message -----
From: "Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center"
<4042N15@nationalhearing.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 6:55 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] I have undertaken the greatest challenge

Josh,
I went through my files and didn't find what you requested. However, I
did
find a few relevant items.
Two articles by Lee Reich, one from Horticulture 2002 and one from FG
2000.
In both articles he gives tables of percentages of elements in certain
fertilizers, but the tables don't match.

Cow manure in FG: .25 - .15 - .25
Cow manure in H: 2.0 - 1.5 - 2.0
Horse manure in FG: .3 - .15 - .5
Horse manure in H: not listed
Poultry manure in FG: 2 to 6 - 2 to 4 - 1 to 3
Poultry manure in H: 6 - 4 - 3
Worm castings in FG: 1 - 0 - 0
Bat Guano in H: 10 - 2 - 0

An important note in addition to the GA is how quickly each is available
plants.  In the FG article, he indicates that poultry manure is fast,
while
cow and horse manure are only moderately fast; worm castings slow.

And then I came across a printout (from someone named Kay Lancaster,
kay@fern.com) on fertilizer facts. She gives these readings for manures:
Bat Guano (fresh): 10 - 3 - 1
Bat Guano (subfossil): 2 - 8 - 0
Chicken manure (dry): 4 - 4 - 2
Cow manure (dry): 2 - 2.3 - 2.4
Horse manure: 1.7 - .7 - 1.8
Pig manure (dry): 2 - 1.8 - 1.8
Sheep manure (dry): 4 - 1.4 - 3.5
Worm castings: .5 - .5 - .3
Iowa sewage sludge: 2.77 - 1.41 - 0

I don't know if this will be of use to you, but there it is. Reich shows
horse manure scoring better than cow manure in his FG article, but not as
compared to the cow manure in his Horticulture article (which didn't cover
horse manure). Lancaster shows cow manure ahead of horse manure and both
indicate chicken as much higher - but also faster - which explains why you
need to be more cautious with it.

If I come across anything else, I'll let you know.

Kitty