Re: Fuchsia

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] Fuchsia
  • From: "Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center" 4042N15@nationalhearing.com
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:19:40 -0600

Melody,
You make an excellent point that I wish I'd thought of for that request.
The only garden for which that would not hold water is our Trial garden, but
the request for these BHG annuals came from the Pastel Pathway.

For every plant in our 15 or so gardens we have a zinc plant marker that
gives botanical and common names, type (A, B, P, HB, TP, DT, C, etc) and a
source code.  The source code is a number you can look up in our supplier
list which shows where you can buy that plant.  I spent countless hours
about 4 years ago scouring catalogues, etc to find suppliers for all 1100
plants we had (that was after I identified and inventoried them).  Since
then, I assign codes as each new plant comes in - probably up to 1400 by
now, though some have left us.

The Trial garden though has a futuristic approach and no supplier codes.
It's billed as having plants new on the market or not yet on the market.
They always have the AAS winners and I sometimes have to search those out -
believe it or not, they are notalways carried locally.  They usually grow
everything from seed, but occasionally need me to find something.  For them,
I'd go the extra mile, but they rarely need my help acquiring plants.

You are right, the Pastel garden shouldn't be showing plants that are
impossible to obtain.  I'll remember that.  Thanks.

Kitty