Re: Fuchsia>gardens

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] Fuchsia>gardens
  • From: "Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center" 4042N15@nationalhearing.com
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:40:31 -0600

Melody,
First I'll just give a description.  In a later message I'll more fully
answer your question about development, though this explains some of it.

Most of the gardens were started before I became an MG.  They started them
for the most part from plants culled from their own gardens.  There were
some existing trees surrounding the Extension Service Building which gave a
few of the gardens some backbone.  They raised money by selling plants from
their own gardens and had other fundraisers including garage sales and a
brick sale (for some $ amount contribution your name is on a brick walk)
One MG contributed the design and much of the labor to build a stone potting
shed.  The shed sits at the north end of an enclosed loose-fence (there's a
name for that type- split rail?)  The south entrance has a small arbor and
the west entrance has a huge arbor area entrance with sitting area. The east
end has a walk through composting section.    The fenced-in area is
quartered; half was herb garden and half vegetable.  When the Youth
volunteers lost their garden to university plans they took over half the
vegetable garden - so each is a quarter. Then they established the Monet
garden which later became Pastel Pathway.  Next to that is Birds, Bees, and
Butterflies garden, across from which is the Cottage garden, against the
north side of the  building.  Behind PPand BBB is the Prairie garden and
west of all that used to be a Wildflower garden, across from the still
exisiting Entrance garden.  The front of the building (facing east)has a
Moonlight garden which faces the trial garden and, south of Trial, the
Woodland Fen. About 2000 we added a Cutting garden in the space between
Trial the fenced area. The other side (south) of the building is the
Ornamental Grass garden.  The Back of the building (west) has the Terrace
Hydrangea garden and, through another huge trellised arbor is the Patio
garden.  About 2001, various conifers were moved and some new ones acquired
to create the Conifer garden, across the glade to the southwest of the
building.  This year we are adding a rockgarden to the outside of the fenced
in garden and facing the Prairie.  The roofgarden is going on top of the
shed next to the terrace garden.  The Propagation group has seven gardens
spread out around the grounds.  The grounds include a "glade" to the west of
the building - which is shrinking because Ricky needs space for more plants
he wants  - which is where we hold our plant sales.   East of the Cutting,
Trial, and Fen, is a "glen" (don't know if these terms are appropriate)
which we put in around 2000.  This is a nice wide path with a sitting area,
lots of neat shrubs, lilies, daylilies, iris, daffodils.   Where the
university cut through the kids garden a couple of years ago for a walkway
from a skybridge to our north we've been developing an outer edge of
grasses, butterfly bushes, extra-durable perennials like Sedum, and a few
Austrees and some evergreens.

Kitty