Re: Garden Vision/ J. dibia

My sentiments exactly, Gene.  But I have learned over the years not to push
plants on these gardeners.  Ricky sometimes has me order plants that he or I
have found that would be super additions to a garden, but that were not
requested by them.  We provide all sorts of catalogs and books for them to
peruse and then they ask for Snow in Summer or something they saw in Better
Homes & Gardens.  So, to elevate the horticultural substance of our
plantings we add things like this.  When they arrive I turn them over to the
gardens, often with extra instructions, since they may not be familiar with
it.  Often these plants are shunned, banished to a corner, forgotten, and
not maintained and they die out.  This has happened with every woodland
plant I've ordered for them that they didn't specifically ask for.

When I asked her about the Jeffersonia this time, she said that ephemerals
open too early so nobody sees them, so what's the point?  She doesn't
realize that people tour our gardens during all seasons. They cover the
whole garden in leaves and don't remove them until later than I think they
should, so early bloomers might not get seen.   The few Trilliums and
primroses have just about died away, but a few Epimediums seem to be holding
their own, but just barely.  They dote on their ferns and hostas.

I have a tough time not speaking my mind on the way some of these MGs manage
their gardens.  The folks in the Woodland Fen view their garden as a shade
garden, not a woodland.  They trim the whole darn thing with Impatiens every
year (coleus in 2005) while plants like Yellow Waxbells (can't recall bot
name), shunted to the edge, fry in the sun until they are enveloped by
Hibiscus moeschutos.  I finally got them to move YWB, but can't get them to
budge on ephemerals.  There are a lot of other nice plants in this garden,
though, so it's not as bad as I make it sound; it's just that I think they
could do a better job depicting a woodland garden.  Oh, and I did talk them
into trying some Goodyera this year.

Then there's the Everlasting & Cutting garden - These folks just want a
pretty garden - who cares about cutting?  They request short little border
plants and in recent years have just forgotten about everlastings entirely.
They want urns to grow impatiens and pansies in.  They just don't seem to
get it.

Sorry to go on and on, but I am so thrilled with my early spring flowers and
wish I could have more.  Sometimes ordering for the gardens is a way for me
to experience the plants without having to buy them myself.  When they don't
take care of them and we lose them, it just sort of sets me on edge.

Kitty