Re: artemisia > fluff my mulch

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] artemisia > fluff my mulch
  • From: "Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center" 4042N15@nationalhearing.com
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 12:56:51 -0600

Mardi- I fluffed my mulch, too, yesterday as it was my day off and we had a
beautiful day of sunshine and 58 degrees.  My early crocus with the sunniest
exposure are all blooming and even a couple of Dutch ones next to some
snowdrops. Many others on the east side were trying their best to push
through the shredded leaf mulch I'd dumped on them, so I gave them a hand.
I have containerized plantings in 3 spots covered with shredded leaves, so I
uncovered all so I could write down the names (I lost the list I made last
fall) so I can make plant tags for the sale next month.  One set of pots,
all the Hosta divisions, mostly in quarts had been set in ground so I dug
them out and put them in the drafty cold Florida room.  They'll warm up a
little faster there than in the ground and maybe that way they'll leaf out a
bit and be more saleable.  The other containers are showing some growth, but
since March can be a roller coaster, I still left some loose leaf shredding
over the new growth, but did remove the bulk of it so as not to either cook
the new or rot the crown.  the Washington Hawthorns were chewed to bits by
rabbits. A fourth group of about 24 large pots are tulips that are going to
the MG Garage Sale in 4 weeks.  I left them covered (north side of house)  I
need to check the timing to hopefully have them in bud for the sale.

My forsythia's not in bloom yet, but the Magnolia buds are swelling. Nubbins
of daylilies are pushing out.  Early anemones have begun growth under
shredded leaf mulch.  I see nice new growth on Artemisia lactiflora which
needs division soon.  All the Colchicums have their leaf tips up searching
for the sun.  Lots of tulip leaves showing everywhere.

I had also potted and sunk some Ipheion and Allium sphaerocephalon, which
seem to have swelled and pushed the soil up out of their pots and may need
repotting.  I guess I was trying to be too thrifty.

spring is on its way.