Re: I have undertaken the greatest challenge

> From: Libby Valentine <grdner03@yahoo.com>
> I has thought of using them instead of newspaper for my next garden
> (modified lasagna), but I'm not sure about magazine paper (glossy)
> rather than newspaper. What do you think?

Libby, since we have always been inundated with glossy trade mags
here and before our county started its recycling program, I used to
take them by the cartload and use them to mulch areas behind beds in
a vain attempt to control the ground ivy.

I found that glossy mags last a long time...don't think they'd work
well in a lasagna bed; nothing would grow through them like it
eventually does through layers of wet newspaper.  As a path mulch
with woodchips on top, they are OK as long as the ground is flat -
not great on a slope as they get slippery.  Oddly enough the bindings
on those that aren't stapled together last nearly forever; must be
the glue.  I'm still finding them years after the mags finally

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Shadyside Garden Designs
Current Article: Until April 11