To: "Chat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 4:53 PM
Subject: [CHAT] War Zone

We have become beset by a raccoon. It [sex unknown] has been marauding our back patio for a few weeks now, ripping up nearly every newly potted plant. It leaves alone those plants that have been potted long enough for the soil to firm up, but if the soil is somewhat loose, it tears it up. Ms Fatma spent a good part of yesterday repotting some cacti, a Madagascar palm, and other miscellaneous stuff--only to find them overturned, ripped out, and soil scattered everywhere this morning. Like a child had a tantrum.

Pest-catcher-killer guy has just left. He scoured the yard and found raccoon scat [that's how we ID'd the creature], and is coming back tomorrow with a trap. I suppose it will be one of those have-a-heart traps, which is okay as long as once the raccoon is inside, he throws it in a lake.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10