Re: War Zone

Armadillo was my first guess, too, Andrea. Except it would have to be able to leap up on the potting bench [4 feet off the ground]. And pest-catcher-killer guy couldn't find any boroughs or digs to give one access to the back yard.

On Mar 29, 2005, at 8:15 PM, A A HODGES wrote:

OK, laughed out loud at that one Jim. Don't let Jesse read that
message.........

I wonder if raccoon scat and armadillo scat look similar. Maybe your
pest-catcher-killer guy is mistaken.

Andrea H
Beaufort, SC

[Original Message]
From: james singer <islandjim1@verizon.net>
To: Chat <gardenchat@hort.net>
Date: 3/29/2005 5:55:24 PM
Subject: [CHAT] War Zone

We have become beset by a raccoon. It [sex unknown] has been marauding
our back patio for a few weeks now, ripping up nearly every newly
potted plant. It leaves alone those plants that have been potted long
enough for the soil to firm up, but if the soil is somewhat loose, it
tears it up. Ms Fatma spent a good part of yesterday repotting some
cacti, a Madagascar palm, and other miscellaneous stuff--only to find
them overturned, ripped out, and soil scattered everywhere this
morning. Like a child had a tantrum.

Pest-catcher-killer guy has just left. He scoured the yard and found
raccoon scat [that's how we ID'd the creature], and is coming back
tomorrow with a trap. I suppose it will be one of those have-a-heart
traps, which is okay as long as once the raccoon is inside, he throws
it in a lake.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W