Re: rats & birdseed

Add to the other advantages, if you use the shelled seed, you
don't have the shells falling to the ground.  Sunflower seeds
contain some substance that inhibits growth of other plants.
I'm sure someone more knowledgable can tell us what it is.
I don't know that rats don't like it -haven't had a problem with
them - but I know squirrels love either kind.  We buy the
shelled seeds by the 50-lb. bag at a feed store.  Not really
too much more pricey than the other kind in smaller bags
at the grocery store, and so much neater.

In a message dated 03/30/2005 11:28:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,