Re: Weekend, warm climes

Your e-mail is bound to make some of our listmemebers thinking about moving to Florida. We did a number of years ago, but decided to stay put.
Godi zone 7
Mt. Vernon, VA

To: "Garden Chat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, March 03, 2006 5:55 AM
Subject: [CHAT] Weekend

We're looking forward to this weekend. Weather is forecast to be mid to high 70s, 20 percent chance of rain, on-shore breezes in the 5 mph to 10 mph range. And we have a whole pile of residual chores to take care of.

I loaded up the dehydrator with papaya this morning, but there will be another 5 or 6 pound fruit to deal with by Sunday. And we'll need to start canning tomatoes, too [they're piling up on the kitchen counter now].

Some of the fruit trees--especially the sugar apples and the loquats--need to be pruned. If we pick the ripe fruit from the pruned loquat tree limbs, we'll be forced to bake a cobbler or two [waste not, want not]. The sugar apple is neither blooming nor producing at the moment, so pruning it will be routine.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10