Re: Ming Aralia

Very interesting plant, Cathy. Gets gnarly stems all by itself :) We have two or three--all outdoor children. One, multi-stemmed and about 3 feet tall, grows in a pot under a south-facing eave with no direct sun but so-so light and no real cold cold. It thrives. Another grows in a pot near the first one but not under the eave--so same conditions, but cooler cold season. It does okay. The third is a really old guy, big and gnarly, more or less in the elements. Every winter it gets mowed off where it ventures above the roof line; but it also comes back every spring.

Now, all this aside, I've seen them grown as a hedge in Coral Gables--a bit farther south and a bit warmer than Venice.