Re: Japanese Bluebells

Thanks Gene, I believe, in general, that trying something for yourself is the best route, but when funds are limited, I have to select a very few plants to try. It makes the selection easier when I can get honest input from friends who've "Been there, tried that".

neIN, Zone 5
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene Bush" <genebush@otherside.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, March 05, 2006 6:59 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Japanese Bluebells

I have grown this species twice without long term success. Blooms are very, very, small. Plant is much smaller than Virginia bluebells, but the leaves are a wonderful powder blue with green in the background. I have kept it couple of years before it disappears. Slugs and snail *love* the foliage on this plant.
Perhaps you will do better.
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

I received the North Wind Perennials (fka Plant Pics Perennials, pka
Shady Oaks) catalog. They offer Mertensia pterocarpa var. yezoensis,
Japanese Bluebells. It made me tink about how Bonnie (in Ohio) and Chris
(in IL) had said they'd lost their Mertensia virginica, Virginia
Bluebells. According to this catalog, the blue-green foliage persists
through summer and has a better clumping habit than the native form.
Has anyone tried this variety?