RE: Spring

Hello Everyone!

I spent six hours outdoors today doing spring clean-up. I probably uncovered
about 1/3 of the beds, but things look much tidier!  I loved sweeping off
the pathway in my white garden.  It's just flat river rock, with dirt in
between the stones.  It looks so nice with the leaves and debris cleaned off
it!  I cut back all the perennials and dead annuals, pruned roses, pulled
ivy, raked leaves, swept the rock salt from the walkway to the house, and
much more!  We had sun all day and the temperature must have been near 60

The most difficult part of the job is carting the debris off to the compost
pile. The pile is down the driveway at least 200 feet and off into the
woods. The best method I've found so far for collecting the prunings is to
use large plastic trash cans that I load into my cart. Lifting the trash
cans to dump them on top of a huge mound is what gets me hurting! Yet, it's
easier than having to dump my big wooden cart! When my son Jaron was home he
would occasionally do the emptying of the cans for me. I'm hoping to get my
husband's help tomorrow, but he usually stays clear of any gardening!

I swept the deck and returned the wrought iron table to its proper location.
It was still on the lawn after being blown off the deck in a storm!  I
really have to pay attention to all my messy areas as I will be an open
garden for the national daylily convention this summer. I'm not on the
official tour, but open before and after.  As of now I have one bus coming
from upstate.  I've never had that many people in my garden at one time, but
there's plenty of room.  Parking a bus is another story!

Has anyone ever painted those "foam" featherlite planters?  Some of mine are
looking a bit tired.

I'm going to have a landscaper come by on Tuesday to talk about edging my
beds and helping me with renovating my parent's garden next door. I would
just like help getting it ready for planting as it is overrun with weeds.  I
know that I will be shocked by the prices, but this woman is an excellent
plantswoman and I need to start somewhere.  I can't look at the big picture
or I get overwhelmed.

If anyone would like to send me the names of some of their favorite plants
that could be used as companions to daylilies, I'd appreciate your help.
I'm making a short list to use in a talk at our daylily meeting.

Chris Petersen
Northport, Long Island, New York
 Zone 7a (Average min temp 50 - 00)